Saturday, May 19, 2007

Black Diamond


My friend Marissa gave me this black perigord truffle for my birthday in January. She and The Waymouth kindly fêted me with a luncheon at Café Figaro and despite the picquant aroma of the moules marinière plated before me, a heavenly, fungal scent permeated the bag containing the crusty nugget. I was afraid to cook it, jewel that it was, but, I used the first half to make a dinner with pork cutlets with pastry in sauce perigord (pictures to come). All that is left of it are shavings, some preserved in olive oil and some in armagnac. It was Marissa's suggestion that I start this blog and just when I get it going she is in absentia - gone to Tibet for her birthday.

I suspect she wants to steal my recipes ... Lord knows I've stolen a few of hers! I can't wait til she gets back, sherpas in tow. She is a wonderful photographer and I Leica her work a lot.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This morning my girlfriend Blanca left me something that looks like a truffle.

Unknown said...

She left me something too but it looked nothing like a truffel.

jonathan said...

That's the spirit! I know that Blanca and she is quite the epicure. Dogs are the preferred animal for truffle hunters as pigs tend to eat the things when they find them. My advice to you Teebs- don't even sniff the thing - use only expert sources such as Nicole's Gourmet Imports in South Pasadena. Who knows what Blanca's source was (no answer required). Wonder what she left for Pedr!!!

Anonymous said...

Blanca and I have both been to Nicole's in South Pasadena, and although we never tried the truffles, everything we did try was ABSOLUTELY SPLENDID!!!
We'll have to give the truffles a go next time we are up there (which coincides with our visits to Susan Hollis' furniture store on Pasadena(?) Avenue)