Tuesday, May 22, 2007

How Does Your Garden Grow?


My dear, beautiful, friend and neighbor, Shauna, has a demanding career "stoking the star, making machinery behind the popular song" (and yes, once upon a time, she worked for
the subject of that excellent song). Shuttling between LA, New York and Nashville, she still finds time to enjoy a glass of fine wine and to plant tomatoes, peppers and beans. Walked by her apartment-front garden just now, and, only two weeks after the
initial planting it sure is thriving. I put in some basil from my own heirloom seeds to help. Can't wait to taste of her efforts and my favorite fruit. Click on the pic to see the garden large in all its green splendor.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello Jonathan,
Thank you for your generosity and time in giving your thoughts and ideas on roasting cauliflower.
I wanted to make it to eat with my home made hummous, an idea I got from a great bar/restaurant owned by some friends in Devonport, Auckland called The Spitfire.
Two nights ago I roasted the cauliflower as you suggested (we don't have any cans in this house - garbanzos etc are soaked!) so I used a small enamel bowl with water and put it at the back of the oven. Peter had blanched/parboiled the cauli first. It was an unbelievable success - quite 'meaty' and I'm sure the water in the oven at the same time made all the difference.
We had it with the hummous, which was the best I've made - lashings of fresh chopped dill, garlic, olive oil and lemon juice, plus rind of two lemons, tahini, cumin, kelp, some of the black pepper that you so brilliantly hand ground when you were here Monday, paprika, Bragg's liquid aminos, and a very little herb salt (we've really cut back on our slt intake and upped the kelp and bragg's amino acid)
and everything is organic, quite the motto around here.
The hummous and roast caulifower was so filling that we had to skip on the salad we'd made.
Can't wait to have you both over again to partake of more home cooked, organic treats.
thank you for creating this blogg. It's a wonderful idea

jonathan said...

So glad it worked out well, Barbara.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.