Thursday, May 31, 2007

Where's the meat?

Always out for the economical advantage, I buy my meat at Costco, an old fashioned, but very up to date, food and dry goods warehouse that seems to be run along military lines and has huge outlets all over the US. You can purchase all things from a refrigerator to a double pack of giant 409 cleaner here, and every item is fairly reliable quality wise.
I also get to see what it is like to be one of the washed middle classes. Costco's stock is industrial strength and multiples thereof. After paying the initial yearly membership fee I save enormous amounts of cash by buying heavily discounted stuff that I always use, such as toilet paper, bleach or coffee (José's is just the best coffee for the price that I know of) - and meat.

The meat is government stamped USDA Choice, one grade below Prime which is the top level. My experience is that Choice is more flavorful and has more of the imperfect world that I live in in it. It's not organic as far as I know. I also buy their mussels, trout and salmon. I don't usually buy vegetables there because they are difficult to store long term at home, but very occasionally they have bigbags of shallots, which I use often, or cippoline onions and I grab em and shape menus around them. I hit Costco before the weekend when the place becomes unbearable on account of the crowds. In my branch it is unusual to hear English spoken until you get to checkout, and, if I close my eyes, I could easily believe that I am abroad. Strange thing too, at this Costco one shops with the stars when the place is pretty empty; one rubs shoulders with Gwen Stefani and various other recognizables from the neighborhood, as I have on several occasions. I guess that's LA for you.

I stopped by today to get some flank steak (recipe to come), and some Johnsonville Brats (sausages), which I love.

No comments: