Monday, July 9, 2007

Bazaar Bizarre

I would like to thank both Winfernal and Wolfgang for their comments in the recent Figs post. Winfernal, apparently a meat eater, shares his excellent vegetarian recipe for spaghetti carbonara with us, and a skepticism about the unhealthiness of raw eggs, amongst other things, and is well worth the read. Wolfgang poses some challenging questions. These independent comments address related topics which I will discuss in this post.

As a child, I went where my parents went, and we were often in South Africa. Major cities, Jo'burg, Cape Town, Durban, had bazaars, colorful markets that were a cross between the modern swap meet and food hall and to my memory very large and sprawling, in devoted, permanent, locations. It was the sixties and the bazaars were under segregation, divided by race. I tread lightly with the terminology here, but there was the Indian Bazaar, and the African Bazaar, which I understand is now no longer operating. Both fantastically colorful and full of the bountiful produce that that fertile country provides, they were always a fun excursion for a wide-eyed child such as myself. At the Indian market it was quite something to see 40 kinds of curry powder arranged in conical heaps ranked by heat, the hottest being Mother-in-Law curry, and each brightly and differently colored according to its spice content. My father would always stock up before our return to Britain, as in those days it was difficult to find authentic Indian curry in England. But what I remember vividly, besides being expected to bargain for Zulu chachki, was the inevitability of a sheep's head at various meat stalls, eyes-in, buzzing with flies which the vendors would swat at and fan away. The smell of spice outweighed everything to my sensitive seven year old's nose, a reminder that spices were originally used to cover the taste and smell of rotting meat and vegetables, and sometimes to preserve them from further deterioration. Although I hear sheep's head is a delicacy I would probably not partake. There is little I will not try, but there are some I revisit rarely. I am, for instance, fussy about what is combined with eggs, and potatoes too, but I can't think of anything that I am truly disgusted by, except perhaps insects or larvae, which are eaten with relish in many parts of the world. I would not eat horse, or dog, or cat, though I have eaten lion biltong (jerky), defined after the instance, in Africa. I have eaten tripe, blood sausage, frog's legs and rattlesnake, and I relish fresh sautéed sweetbreads. Lamb's kidneys are a great favorite of mine. Farmed pheasant, the only kind available to us, is boring, hung for only a couple of days it cannot compete with its weeklong-hung counterparts in Europe, rich, delicious and gamey, and perfectly healthy. I will eat any vegetable or spice, though I don't care for hot peppers in any quantity as they then tend to destroy subtler and equally important flavors in any meal.

Above all, quality suppliers are supremely important, which, apart from the grocer or butcher, includes any restaurant you might eat at. I check labels and country of origin at market and I prefer to buy fresh local produce, seasonally current. I patriotically, stay clear of meat and fish from abroad if I can, though, unless you want to hock the family jewels, it is hard to find good lamb originating any place other than Australia or New Zealand. Government checks and balances are, to my mind, overly stringent in our country, particularly with regard to dairy. Do not think for a moment that a French Brie purchased at market is anything like what they are eating in Europe. You may as well have bought it in Europe and stone blasted it to conform to our government's standards. I remember being on a farm up-coast from Durban, South Africa, where I learned to milk a cow at the age of 8. We took the bucket back to the kitchen and tasted of the butterfat and it was truly wonderful. After home pasteurization it was still superior to what passes for milk in the the domestic market, though I'm sure if you own your own cow you can do the same here. One can get very sick if milk is not pasteurized at an early point, but does one really have to nuke it if it will be naturally processed into cheese?

In parts of the world where hygiene is almost absent, I have had to eat what has been set before me, so as not to offend my hosts (who have not necessarily been the providers of the food) and risked the bodily consequences usually for professional reasons. Cleanliness in the kitchen is Rule One which includes keeping vegetables and meats apart unless your preparation is swift. I was once obliged to taste the wine at a Mediterranean vineyard belonging to a family member of a friend and was served their latest white from a filthy glass in an equally filthy kitchen. I bit the bullet with the consolation that the wine had a high alcohol content (not a fail-safe antiseptic). Mostly I dine at friends' and a gracious host will not put you on the spot if you leave a portion of your serving, though they might gripe about it after you have left. It's unusual to be served something that isn't fairly "safe" at such events. If I can't eat something I quietly leave it and hope to be invited again.

As a postscript to the Big Eden post: I saw Ratatouille this weekend at El Capitan, which was magnificent, and I highly recommend it. Despite being somewhat anti modern Disney on account of their aggressive and invasive marketing, I bit the bullet. Daniel and Helena, 4 and 2 respectively, pictured above with uncle Matt and the theater backdropped, were completely spellbound at the immense imagination that unfolded on the silver screen. This was Helena's first time in front of the big screen. I do hope our nation's mothers and fathers will eventually let their children know that feral rats were responsible for the bubonic plague and are currently the source of hantavirus which is a killer here in the southwest. But, suspend belief once again, and see the film. It is absolutely terrific.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Although I haven't covered the bubonic plague or hantavirus with my son, Ratatouille is indeed a wonderful film for everyone. Since watching it my son and daughter both believe they are pros in the kitchen and want to help out with kitchen responsibilities including keeping their station clean! If you have little ones at home this film is great for getting them motivated in learning to cook and helping out in the kitchen. I'm also looking forward to watching Big Eden.
EKC

Anonymous said...

Greeting - Winfernal here posting anonymously due to tech difficulties. Your fond memories of food from your childhood set me off on my own Proustian reveries, quite different from your own (no exotic locales) but also involving food stuffs not readily familiar to even the most adventurous foodies of today. My father was a hillbilly of sorts, and by that I mean he was familiar with nature as a source of nourishment, as well as something to be enjoyed for all the conventional reasons. He hunted and fished, but would be appalled by anyone who did it solely for the sport of it, for the enjoyment of killing, a la Dick Cheney, to pick a name at random. I generally drove him nuts on those occasions when I accompanied him, being more interested in skimming rocks over the water (and scaring the fish rather than attracting them), getting sand in my spinning reel, or whining about being bored or tired when we'd hunt pheasant or squirrel. I never went deer hunting, since it required a special wardrobe that my parents were unwilling to invest in for someone whose interest was as limited as mine. And I can't say that any of the products of his labor were among my favorite foods, but I did eat them and never found any of them repulsive. I do remember liking squirrel pie, actually a fricassee of sorts, that was eaten with heavily buttered biscuits. My father had an uncle and aunt who led truly primitive lives for the mid-20th century - no plumbing or electricity, all cooking done via an ancient woodburning stove - and almost all food stuffs derived from hunting, growing or gathering. To the kids, a visit to Uncle Jesse's was an adventure - kerosene lamps, feather beds, outhouses and all that. His wife Hester was one of the best cooks I recall from my childhood. I can still taste her garlic pickles, a flavor that I've never experienced again. She was a natural cook, i.e. she never worked from recipes; it was all in her head. It was there that I ate roast raccoon for the first time, with trepidation, I admit. Manners forced the first bite, but the second I took because I thought it tasted good. My mother was more conventional in her culinary upbringing, so cooking game was something she had to muddle through on her own. Generally something as exotic (and rarely enjoyed) as roast raccoon was to be shared with other brave gourmands, usually my father's relatives, who had similar eating experiences as part of their growing up, and wouldn't gag at the thought of consuming some of the things that we did. I do remember my Uncle Ken though, a city boy married to my dad's younger sister, making a hasty retreat from the dinner table once when my Uncle Perry, ever the wag, asked Uncle Ken to "please pass the dog". He never returned to the table, not even for the blackberry pie that my mother made so well. I asked my mother recently when the last time was that she'd eaten raccoon, and she said it was so long ago that she couldn't remember. She also confessed that the preparation was a pain in the ass, and that she was delighted when my father would take his bounty to the butcher and have it smoked, saving her the tedium of sinew and fat removal and all the other prep details it entailed. So I doubt seriously I'll ever eat this exotic dish again, considering my advancing dotage, and it will enter that encyclopedia of flavors, a flavor I couldn't decribe because there is nothing else that tastes like it, that are truly lost, like the barbeque from Gadberry's on Broadway just below Slauson, that is no more; or the apple pancake from Norma's, a short-lived breakfast and lunch place that used to be on Rowena in Silverlake; or the hamburger platter from Thai/American Express (the best burger I've ever eaten) that moved into Norma's location years after she'd vacated; or the mulligan stew served once a year at a creamery co-op in a little village, with the charming name of Rollingstone, near my hometown in southern Minnesota, an event my parents would drag us to, but, like so many things, something appreciated so much more these many years later now that it's gone forever.

jonathan said...

Thank you EKC and Winfernal for your rodential comments. They are entertaining and most welcome.I'm glad to hear the babes are all cooking now. And I'm happy to hear that Winfernal was well fed as a youth in Minnesota - squirrel pie is enticing it seems!