Sunday, November 25, 2007

Francophilia

There are times when one steps back and realizes that contemporaneous conjunctions from disparate sources make for a golden time in one's life. At this moment I am stripping out an ornate and beautiful French style Fantasy Lighting chandelier for their website and listening to the current, gorgeous, melancholy, Radiohead album. John Richardson's long awaited vivid third episode of his Picasso biography rests on a table nearby, where inside its covers the period lives vividly once again. And what with Ratatouille and the very charming Paris Je t'Aime to watch repeatedly on DVD I have once again turned sweet and nostalgic for France.

Internet radio is one of the best things to happen in my time and I often listen on Itunes to Artistes Disparus de la Chansons Francophone the station from chanteurs.org while I work. Broadcast from Paris, they play music by artists from the advent of audio recordings to the present day with the proviso that the artists must be either defunct or deceased. It's fabulous to cook along to and takes me on a wander down fresh Gallic paths.

I am very thankful for my life and the world around me. I feel very blessed no matter what comes my way. I know many people carry heavy burdens and suffer indignities, pains, and poverty, undeserved and incessant, and it was with shock that I read this news on the sale of a huge truffle at an obscene price of close to $350,000. While all proceeds of the auction were given to charity there are questions. No doubt the winning bidders will add value to the truffle as they carve it up and parlay that price many times by offering it in thousand dollar meals for those who will pay for a chance to be part of this sensation. A little bit of truffle goes a long way. I love fresh truffles and once in a blue moon to taste one is a great sensual luxury, with or without a price tag. Its flavor is not commodifiable (see this post). I have to ask, how many in need could be fed with an outright monetary gift such as this let alone its multiplied value when it gets to the table? How could the cure for AIDS or diabetes or cancer be sped on by such amounts? How many could be housed or saved from the streets with the wise stewardship of such a gift? When there are so many triumphs in the world this is something of a disappointment. A freely given gift from the earth stamped with a bland and outrageous price tag.

I would like to thank my friend Denny, who, as Winfernal, posts his ever eloquent and illuminating comments. Also, I appreciate the kind comments from Sean and from James. By the way my ribs are much better thank you - never thought I would take up knitting!

Good hearts can help save the world. Let's eat, my place, or in Gascony!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Missed the truffle story, but it did remind me of the news I read recently of the Board of Health sponsored closing of Serendipity2 in NYC. Just prior to the event, said confectioner was flaunting its distinction as the purveyor of the world's most expensive hot fudge sundae: $25,000.00. "Rodent feces" was listed as one of the establishment's problems. A little rat shit with the gold leaf doesn't strike me as entirely inappropriate for anyone pretentious enough to actually order, consume and pay for such an absurdity. I predict that chocolate sprinkles will not be requested with as much frequency once the floor is mopped, the offficials paid off, and the doors once again flung open for commerce.