Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Nate'n Al, Jon'n Marissa

Nate'n Al is a Beverly Hills institution, on Beverly Drive, and still family owned since its foundation in 1945. It is the best Jewish deli in Southern California. Ragged around the edges and probably last decorated in the early 1970s it is packed and overflowing every lunch time and always has a smattering of celebrities and ancestors of celebrities who order their father's and grandfather's hearties, and their mother's and grandmother's delicacies, from the vast menu. No other deli in town can match or surpass it for delicious, fresh and tasteful excellence, to eat in or take out.

Which is why when my friend Marissa calls and says, "I am in Heavenly Bills and I am going to Nate'n Al, what would you like for lunch?" I get happy and excited! Today she did just that and see the picture for my pastrami sandwich at right with one anxious and unrestrained bite taken before the snapshot, and her Turkey Westwood on my tiny kitchen counter, the result of her care package complete with coleslaw, potato salad and their old and new pickles. Just delicious. Thank you Marissa!

No comments: