Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Dinner With a View


Due to troublesome times and a growing sense of panic within, I have accepted very few dinner invitations this year, and also given very few of my own. Last week Tony and Sherrie invited us to a wonderful evening at the house up in the hills of Highland Park which has views toward Elysian park and Downtown making a sparkling picture from the dinner table. They also have the terraced garden planted with all manner of fruits, vegetables and herbs. Tony and I worked together many years ago and it is all too seldom that we are able to get together. This one had been on the books for some time and they are always fun to spend time with, being hip to all the new stuff, the old stuff and what will be happening before it happens, here in LA.

Sherrie prepared a flavorful and peppery lamb ragu on fresh pasta and Tony, grilled brussel sprouts which he allowed to burn slightly and which we all agreed seemed to enhance the delicate sweetness of the dish. There was also a kale salad and creamy buratta on the side, neither of which I had eaten before, despite Buratta being a trendy item in town. Sherrie opened a couple of delicious reds to sip while we laughed, we cried, we ate it all up. The view from the table sparkled in all directions, not least our sparkling hosts who cheered me up immensely.

2 comments:

CitizenRobots said...

HEY. I only cried a little!

I want to have you over again post haste. Next time I'll skip the pasta and try polenta with more meaty-meat sauce!

tonyfederico said...

I'm glad you guys came over. It was good seeing you. Looking forward having you over again.