Sunday, May 30, 2010

Preservatism

I saw my brother early in the year on the East Coast and was fortunate enough to be there when a package arrived for him from the PX and it contained this object which he promptly unpacked and tested in front of me. He was so impressed that I was impressed that he sent me one and it arrived three weeks later here on my coast. I always like useful new technology that does what it is marketed to do, in the kitchen or elsewhere, and this is one such product. Here it is on the right, complete with blue lights and shiny steel surface and as sleekly robotic as any new seventies' Braun invention was in the olden days.

The Foodsaver is marvelous. Left over chili? Create a custom bag from the internal roll roughly fitting the quantity of the chili and heat seal one end. Then pop it into the slit at the front of the machine and sensors allow the machine to pull out the air and then seal the open end. Write "chili"  on the pouch or just throw it into the freezer and open in a month or three with little or no freezer burn and tasting just as good, or better, than when it was freshly cooked. I take a pork loin from Costco and cut it into roasts and cutlets and then vacuum seal them with the Foodsaver and freeze them. Not cheap to run, the pouch rolls and premade bags can be pricy but I have less wasted food and the flavor freshness is preserved over time so the added expense is well worth it. I highly recommend it.

No comments: